For most of us, the holiday season is full of hanging out with friends and family, and tons of good food. Running around shopping is the most exercise we get during the holidays, and now a lot of us are shopping online & not even getting that exercise. Try the following tips to keep yourself active during the holidays.
- Wear comfortable shoes for walking or running, that way you can exercise whenever you get the chance. Even if it’s just parking farther away from your destination and walking farther, or walking around the mall before you actually start shopping.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator; that will help you burn more calories.
- If you’re traveling, look up different parks and trails to walk wherever you’re visiting. Check with locals to make sure they’re safe.
- If you’re the type who really likes Christmas music, find some upbeat Christmas tunes to work out to.
- Set aside a day to really clean your house thoroughly. All the bending down and squatting to get to those hard to reach places will be a good workout.
- Lots of places have holiday fun runs, look into signing up for one. Get a group of friends together to join in the fun.
- Turn visits with family and friends into outdoor activities. Go for walks outside, or visit a local park or zoo.
- If you’re flying during the holidays, and have time between flights, try to get some walking in around the airport instead of sitting down the whole time.
Don’t let the holiday season be an excuse to forgo your active life; get creative with your workouts so that you don’t have to worry about making exercise your New Year’s resolution next year.